Friday, May 11, 2012

Faith


Faith

The faith of my fathers. The only kind I know
It’s impersonal, tradition, and I have no way to grow

If I do know him, if we do not speak
Where do I turn to when I am weak?

I know the close relationship God has with others
It sounds okay, but it sounds like the God who smothers

Taking away all my freedom of choice
Making my decisions.  Limiting my voice

I don’t want a God who tells me what to do
Who is too close to me and tries to stick to me like glue

Further away from God I am determined to be
It doesn’t matter. He means nothing to me.

My head held high I walk away from the Lord
He’s too inflexible. He makes me bored.

He should be called the God who doesn’t exist
The God who doesn’t listen and vanishes like the mist

He has never spoken to me and never will
The God who doesn’t care for me still

Circumstances surround me. I feel all is lost
I can’t escape this. Is this the cost?

I cry out to the Lord in my great distress
Save me from this chaos and mess

I’ve nowhere else to turn to. I need your aid.
I do remember the stories of the price you paid

I have not forgotten. I remember it all.
I know the reasons, the circumstances laid out in the Fall

Answer me quickly. Answer me now.
I humble myself. Wipe the sweat of my brow.

I lose myself with such deep conviction
I regret for calling the word of God fiction

I get an answer. Not one I expected
It’s better than nothing. I am not rejected.

The God who accepts me the way that I am
The one who wants a relationship with me man to man

I speak to him now and he speaks to me
I know he is with me. He heard my plea.

The faith of fathers is now the faith of mine
The God who heals the sick. The God who heals the blind.

Each day I struggle to get closer to him.
It’s hard, but with God’s help, we can defeat the grim

My very own personal Jesus, almighty, divine
The friend of sinners. The friend of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment